I’ve been a writer since handwriting entries on lined paper for my church bulletin when I was 12 years-old. Since then I have written poems (and done readings), newspaper articles (I was an editor – twice), magazine features (also an editor more than once) and books (nine). Blogging has fulfilled my life-long dream to be a columnist (except the getting paid part).
I am a widow with a blended family of seven kids, and a believer in Christ. I got my master’s in counseling from Denver Seminary, where there were four women among 300 men and I learned that God sees us all equally. Later, as managing editor of The Wittenburg Door magazine I learned to laugh about it.
My career has been amazing, working with all kinds of San Diego leaders – political, non-profit, and spiritual – to write their stories and publicize their efforts.
Honors & Awards
- 1985 – San Diego County Medical Society – Medical Reporting
- 1987 – American Heart Association, Nationwide creative writing award
- 1989 – AHA California Affiliate Communications – Best Campaign
- 1989 – Public Relations Club of San Diego – Crisis Communications
- 1994 – PRSA Edward L Bernays Award – Community Relations/Government
- 1995 – Annual Report for Stoorza, Ziegaus, Metzger, National Award
- 2003 – PRSA Bronze Anvil Award – Special Publications
- 2005 – San Diego Press Club – First Place, Magazine Feature
- 2005 – Evangelical Press Association – First Place – “The Lost Boys of Sudan”
- 2006 — Evangelical Press Association – First Place – ” Ministering to Forgotten Americans Hiding in a Mexican Prison.”
- 2009 — San Diego Press Club – Jolla Country Day School – First Place – Quest Magazine